Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The place of Healing

Driving down old dirt roads.
Keeping ahead of the sun and roosters crow.
Walking through fields together we went. 
Down to the old river, old grave yard , old cattle fence.
Up the hills we walked searching for the light .
Still feeling the chill of a cold , cold Virginia night.
The cows look up with a smile on their face.
Knowing that this land is my saving grace.
A quiet escape from the land I once knew.
Soft rays of sun wash away the tears on my face,oh that morning dew. 
It is my place of healing where I can wash my pain away in its great flowing river 
The river that divides the past and the present. 
Where I can walk its hills and remember the past but look on toward the future. 
The past is a dangerous thing. It can grab hold of you like the river and drag you down. 
Or it can hold you softly like the warmth of the houses pot belly stove .
I have always been drawn to open country. 
It sends me on a walkabout to examine life and myself.
It soothes my restless soul. 
It puts my mind at peace and helps me work out the hard things in life.
I can go there and be still in the presence of God. 
I will for the rest of this year at least , live 45 minutes away from what was my true childhood. 
 I live 2 hours away for what is my present and hopeful future. 


The Land in VA
Land behind the old Cornett Homestead.
The New River alongside the land
 

No comments:

Post a Comment