Monday, March 4, 2013

A Challenge For Today. A Legacy For Tomorrow

     I am a dreamer. I'm always looking to the next thing or adventure. In my room I have a list on an old notebook called The List For Life. In this list are far away places , activities I want to do , and dreams I hope to fulfill. For a few years I have poured over magazines articles, documentaries ...the list goes on. I became obsessed with these future adventures and experiences. I found myself not even caring about the present. Why? As Christians we are called to look towards the kingdom and not to conform to things of this life. We are hardwired to look towards the final reward. The time when we will stand face to face with our maker and hear the words. "Well done , my good and faithful servant". 
        
    Last week was missions week at my school. We heard several speakers talk about relevant topics in society today. Such as Islam, Human Trafficking, and the Plight of developing countries. This week  taught me that we should not only live for the future but for today! We must rise up one and all and fulfill the call He has given us.

      I'm not saying that we shouldn't have dreams, in fact I believe all should have a list of aspirations. However, we should also keep an open heart and mind towards the will of God. People need the Gospel now! Not after your next trip, not after college. Not when you have a day off from work. Being part of the "Jesus Culture" there is a stereotype that we as Christians can only be missionaries if we sell everything we own and live in a mud hut for x amount of years. This is not true. We are called to our schools or vocations for a reason. Yes , it is true. You can evangelize in America. We often excuse ourselves from mission , saying it not our calling. That is wrong. So start the conversation , answer questions, just be a friend. You don't have to go all Billy Graham tent revival on someone. Let your actions reflect the faith you "claim" to be a follower of. Let them see that you are "different". This is my challenge for today. What will the legacy be, that you leave tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment